College Block--Lisbon Block

248--274 Lisbon St., Lewiston, Maine

Photo 

1855 College Block-Lisbon Block; 248-274 Lisbon St., Lewiston, Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Erected by Franklin Company, this is the earliest surviving commercial building on Lisbon Street. Re-named when Benjamin Bates gave his share of the building to Bates College. Once serving as a provisional city hall, it later became a social center for Canadian immigrants.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 25, 1986
Reference number
86002279
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1855; 1856

Update Log 

  • November 17, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • January 16, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
  • January 16, 2014: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources