Port Sanilac Masonic and Town Hall

20 N. Ridge St., Port Sanilac, Michigan

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Masonic and Town Hall

The Sanilac Masonic Lodge was organized in 1868. In 1863 lodge members and township officials agreed to build a combined township and Masonic hall on land donated by Christopher Odfield, a Mason. The foundation was built with three-foot-thick wall to provide refuge from future forest fires. When the cornerstone was laid on July 1, 1884, crowds turned out for the event, which was highlighted by Masonic ritual. The building was completed the following year. At the turn of the twenty-first century, the hall retained its fanciful Late Victorian brickwork and interior plan used by both the township and the Masons. The Masonic and town hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 1996
Reference number
96000808
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
City hall; Meeting hall
Current functions
City hall; Meeting hall
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1884; 1885

Tags 

19th Century (37,747)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1884 (482)
Built during 1880s (6,474)
City hall (825)
Italianate (5,112)
Michigan (1,938)
Owned by local government (11,500)
Port Sanilac, Michigan (3)
Sanilac County, Michigan (12)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)

Sources