Chicago Burlington & Quincy Ry Roundhouse and Locomotive Shop

Also known as: Walter Payton's Roundhouse & Brew Pub , Two Brothers Roundhouse
205 N. Broadway, Aurora, Illinois

Restored CB&Q roundhouse, now a restaurant and Metra transportation center.

Photos 

Photo taken by Steve Conro

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Originally constructed in 1856 as a roundhouse for the Chicago and Aurora Railroad (later Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad) and served in this capacity until 1974. It was abandoned until 1995, when a group of investors led by Walter Payton purchased it and converted the building to an entertainment complex. In 2011 years after his death, it was acquired by Two Brothers Brewing. The building is the oldest limestone roundhouse in the United States.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1978
Reference number
78001154
NR name
Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Roundhouse and Locomotive Shop
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Roundhouse
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1855; 1856; 1865
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Sources