Illinois Traction Building

Also known as: Illinois Power Building
41 E. University Ave., Champaign, Illinois

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

The building served as the home office for the Illinois Terminal Railroad and was also used as a station. The Illinois-Iowa Power Company moved into the offices in 1937 and stayed until 1985.

Streetcar service ended in 1936 and the electric intercity trains ceased operation in 1955.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 2006
Reference number
86003782
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Professional; Rail-related
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1913

Update Log 

  • October 30, 2010: New photo from J.R. Manning
  • October 26, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Data

Sources