Awatovi Ruins

Also known as: Awatovi
W of Jeddito, Keams Canyon, Arizona

Map 

Description 

Located on the Hopi Indian Reservation, Awatovi Ruins is the site of one of the most important Hopi Indian villages encountered by Coronado's men in 1540. It contains the remains of a 500-year-old pueblo and a 17th-century Spanish mission complex. Excavations were conducted at the site by the Peabody Museum in the 1930s. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000187
Areas of significance
Archeology - Prehistoric; Archeology - Aboriginal; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Village site
Current function
Agricultural fields
Periods of significance
1499-1000 AD; 1749-1500 AD
Significant years
1200; 1700