Roak Block

144-170 Main St., Auburn, Maine


1871 Roak Block; 144-170 Main St., Auburn, Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at


Street View 


Known as the “Cradle of the Auburn Shoe Industry", this four-story brick building was designed by Stevens & Coombs in the Second Empire style for a consortium of shoemakers including Jacob Roak, Dingley & Foss and Wise & Cooper, each of whom invested in and owned a separate vertical section of the combined structure. Later named the Roak Block, it was used for manufacturing until the 1970s, and is now retail and elderly housing.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 28, 1982
Reference number
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Manufacturing facility; Specialty store
Current function
Specialty store
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1871; 1872

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • January 19, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description