Zubly Cemetery

Forrest Dr., Beech Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Zubly Cemetery, Cemetery

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Established ca. 1790 by the Swiss settlers of New Windsor Township, the Zubly Cemetery is significant as an example of a typical early to mid-nineteenth century cemetery illustrating vernacular burial customs of the period. It is the most important extant historic resource associated with the New Windsor community, a significant late-eighteenth to early-nineteenth century settlement and frontier outpost in the South Carolina backcountry. Settled in 1737 by prominent families from Appenzell and Toggenburg, Switzerland, New Windsor became an outpost for Indian traders. By 1750, New Windsorís importance as a trading center was eclipsed by the neighboring city of Augusta, just across the Savannah River in Georgia, and the township declined further still after the Revolution. The Zubly Cemeteryís earliest marked graves date from this phase of New Windsorís history. There are fifty-eight marked graves. The oldest marked grave is dated 1798 and the most recent burial is from 1983. Gravestones, most of them marble, vary from table-top tombs and other flat markers to upright tablets and obelisks. The cemetery is enclosed by a brick wall and an iron gate allows access. Listed in the National Register January 28, 2002. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 28, 2002
Reference number
01001548
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1750-1799; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1850-1874
Significant year
1790

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources