Fort Atkinson

1 mi. E of Fort Calhoun, Fort Calhoun, Nebraska

Photos 

Powder Magazine

Fort Atkinson

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Fort Atkinson (1820) is one of the line of forts ("The Permanent Indian Frontier") established to guard the western U.S. frontier and to protect U.S. fur trade from English competition. Headquarters of the Upper Missouri Indian Agency, it was abandoned in 1829; only archeological remains survive. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 4, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000454
Areas of significance
Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Agricultural outbuildings
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1819; 1827
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • April 27, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody