Fort Pringle

Also known as: Battery Pringle
Riverland Dr., James Island, South Carolina


Fort Pringle, Fort Interior with Magazine to the right

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at



Fort Pringle was constructed in 1863 by General P.G.T. Beauregard as part of the James Island Siege Line. As the western terminus of this line, Fort Pringle commanded the Stono River, Johnís Island and lower James Island. It was designed to prevent naval forces from ascending to the Stono River as well as land forces from attacking up James Island or along the Stono River on Johnís Island. Fort Pringle was named for Capt. Pringle, Lucas Battalion South Carolina Regular Artillery, killed on Morris Island in 1863. In 1863 Fort Pringle became the site of some of the heaviest artillery attacks made by the Union fleet during the battle for James Island. Fort Pringle mounted nine heavy cannons at the warís end. The large enclosed earthwork is currently covered with a heavy growth of secondary vegetation. The earthwork itself is polygonal with the river face measuring approximately 360 feet, the right or upstream face 160 feet, the left or downstream face 400 feet and the rear face approximately 520 feet in length. The downstream and river front parapet ranges from 7.5 to 12.5 feet in height. The bombproof is approximately 15 feet high and the powder magazine about 12.5 feet tall. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"

Related landmarks