Erskine House

Main St. and Mission Rd., Kodiak, Alaska

Photos 

Russian-American Company Magazin

SOUTH FRONT

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Description 

Possibly the oldest building in Alaska, the Russian-American Company Magazin was built by the Russians in Kodiak, their capital in Alaska between 1794 and 1808. This magazin (warehouse) might have been constructed as early as ca. 1808; the building was definitely standing at the time of the transfer to the United States, and is one of only three Russian buildings still extant in Alaska. / Structure said to date from 1792-93 when erected for a storehouse by Alexander Baranov, manager of the Shelikhov-Golikov Company when firm's chief factory and headquarters in North America was moved to Kodiak from Three Saints Bay, which may make this building the oldest Russian structure in the United States. Upon the recommendation of the Advisory Board on National Parks, Historic Sites, Buildings and Monuments, the Secretary of the Interior, June 13, 1962, found Erskine House to possess exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States with respect to the Russian fur traders in settlement and development of Alaska. Original log construction was concealed behind exterior redwood weather boarding and interior finish, and hip roof changed to gable roof when structure was converted to a dwelling ca. 1883. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS AK-2)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000954
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Log building
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Warehouse; Business
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1793; 1794

Sources