Carolina Supply Company

35 W Court St., Greenville, South Carolina


Carolina Supply Company, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Carolina Supply Company Building is one of Greenville’s most important architectural and historical landmarks. The former textile supply structure is also significant for its integral role in the evolution of the textile industry in upstate South Carolina. The building is a four-story brick commercial structure constructed in 1914 in a utilitarian Renaissance Revival design with more simple architectural elements than many of the surrounding historic buildings. The restrained detailing is nonetheless distinctive and representative example of a commercial building dating from the early twentieth century. The four-story brick structure has a total of 20,000 square feet with four 4,000 square foot floors and a basement. The symmetrical design has three bays on the front façade with a flat roof. The building contains its original storefront with a prominent metal cornice on the first floor above the storefront. The Carolina Supply Company was incorporated in July 1899 as a textile and industrial supply company for the purpose of supplying mills with equipment and supplies. Carolina Supply’s association with the textile industry led to a natural business relationship with Joseph Emory Sirrine, the region’s leading mill architect and engineer residing in Greenville. Subsequently, J.E. Sirrine and Company was hired to design a new building for Carolina Supply Company in 1913. Listed in the National Register July 3, 1997. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 3, 1997
Reference number
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Architecture; Commerce
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Business; Warehouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year

Update Log 

  • September 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 10, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller