Fort Necessity National Battlefield
11 mi. E of Uniontown on U.S. 40, Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Photo taken by Jim Allen, Aug 2012
+39.81850, -79.5932239°49'07" N, 79°35'36" W
Quadrangle map:Fort Necessity
The National Battlefield, established in 1931, consists of 3 separate units: the Great Meadows battlefield area, Braddock’s Grave, & Jumonville Glen.
The Great Meadows contains a 1954 replica fort & surrounding earth embankments. The original fort was built by George Washington in 1754. From 1935 through 1937 the Civilian Conservation Corps built picnic shelters and other facilities in this area. Also in this area is Mount Washington Tavern, built c1830, which served as a stage stop along the National Road.
Braddock’s Grave, about 2 miles west of the meadows on US-40, is the site of a 1913 monument dedicated to General Braddock.
Jumonville Glen, located on Jumonville Road about 5 miles west of the meadows along US-40, is the site of a battle between the Virginia militia and the French troops.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Military; Exploration/Settlement
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; B - Person
- Property type
- Historic function
- Battle site
- Current functions
- Park; Monument/marker
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1754; 1755
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 5
- August 25, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: expanded description
- September 4, 2012: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description
- September 4, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen