North Anderson Historic District

E. and W. North Ave. between Boundary St. and Mauldin Dr., including parts of Edgewood Dr. Blair St., Central Ave., Anderson, South Carolina

Historic residential district in Anderson, SC

Photos 

2403 W. North Avenue - 1915

Photo taken by Michael Miller in August 2021

Enlarge

Video 

Anderson SC

Dash Cam Travels (Michael Miller)

Map 

Description 

The North Anderson Historic District is architecturally significant and distinguishable as an intact collection of early twentieth century Revivals and American Movements. Some styles are epitomized by particularly fine individual examples; others are represented by a group of properties that collectively exhibit the characteristics of the styles. The district is also significant for its history associated with the themes of community planning and development. The district represents the transformation of Andersonís rural landscape into a planned urban residential development. From 1913 to circa 1950 the area evolved from small, family-owned farms and recreational forests, to the first ring of suburban development in the city. The development patterns closely paralleled the early twentieth century transportation innovations. These innovations, especially the electric streetcar, enabled a rising class of textile industrial managers and other white-collar professions to live in the outer reaches of Anderson. The district also reflects the demand for housing in this rapidly growing city, created by the shift from a rural regional economy to an industrial one. The district features early twentieth century Revival styles including Tudor, Colonial, and Neo-Classical. Craftsman bungalows and Minimal Traditional homes are also well represented. A few individual properties reflect an eclectic blend of more than one style. The district is comprised of 147 contributing residences, 25 contributing garages, one contributing kitchen house, and three contributing parks. Noncontributing properties include 22 residences and seven garages. Listed in the National Register July 31, 2008.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 31, 2008
Reference number
08000733
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; American Movement
Areas of significance
Architecture; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1913; 1950
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 173
Contributing sites: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 29

Update Log 

  • January 14, 2023: New video from Michael Miller
  • August 27, 2021: New photos from Michael Miller
  • August 3, 2021: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 29, 2015: New photos from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & Imported Photos
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 24, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources