New Harmony Historic District

Also known as: New Harmony
Main St. between Granary and Church Sts., New Harmony, Indiana

The original New Harmony Historic District

Photos 

Rappite Community House No. 2

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer May 24, 1940 VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

This small frame house, built in 1815, was part of the Rappite, later Owenite, Utopian experimental community. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IN-37)

This was designation a Nation Historic Landmark in 1965. The buildings are now Included in the expanded New Harmony Historic District listed in 2000.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000006
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Gothic
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Cemetery; Single dwelling; Civic; Multiple dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1815; 1824; 1827
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 17
Contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • June 28, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Added overview
  • February 8, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: expanded description

Related landmarks 

Sources