Nauvoo Historic District

Nauvoo and its environs, Nauvoo, Illinois

Photos 

Mansion House

2. View from south west. Feb. 27, 1934. Photo by Albert J. Delong.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

For seven years, this was the principal city of the Mormons and the headquarters of their church. Originally known as Commerce, the Mormons began settling here in 1839, following their flight from northwestern Missouri. Nauvoo, the largest city in the State, was abandoned by most of the Mormons in 1846, after their leader, Joseph Smith (1805-1844), had been killed by a mob and State authorities had grown increasingly hostile. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 20, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000321
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Single dwelling; Park
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1839; 1846

Sources