Harmony Historic District

Also known as: Harmony
PA 68, Harmony, PA

Map 

Description 

The Harmony Society, 300 followers of George Rapp, established a utopian settlement here in 1805. It developed into a prosperous agricultural and manufacturing community, which was sold when the Society decided to move to Indiana in search of more fertile land. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 30, 1974

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 21, 1973
Reference number
73002139
Architectural style
Colonial
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Institutional housing
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1805; 1814
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10
Contributing sites: 1