Palm Circle Historic District

Also known as: Palm Circle,100 Area,Fort Shafter
Roughly bounded by Carter Dr., Richardson and Funston Rds., A and B Sts., Honolulu, Hawaii

Map 

Description 

This area, dubbed the "Pineapple Pentagon," housed the offices and headquarters of the commanding general and his staff, U.S. Army forces, Pacific Ocean Areas, during World War II. By 1944 this command was responsible for the supply and administration of all U.S. Army personnel in the Central and South Pacific, and from 1943 to 1945, carried out logistical planning for the invasion of the Gilberts, Marshalls, Mariannas, Guam, Palau, and Okinawa. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 28, 1987

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 26, 1984
Reference number
84000104
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Military facility; Single dwelling; Institutional housing
Current functions
Military facility; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1907; 1909; 1944
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 30
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 3