Aiken Winter Colony Historic District II

Roughly bounded by RR track, Colleton and 3rd Aves., Laurens, South Boundary, and Marion Sts., Aiken, South Carolina

Photos 

The Nook

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Aiken Winter Colony Historic District II is significant as an intact collection of properties associated with the Aiken Winter Colony. The district includes properties constructed by winter residents and properties rented by winter residents. Also included is Willcox’s, an inn frequented by Winter Colonists and noted for its cuisine. The district consists of approximately one hundred properties constructed between ca. 1880 and ca. 1930, including residences, outbuildings, stables, racquet sport facilities, and an inn. The residences range from one-story cottages to large mansions with stables and other dependencies. Twenty-two of the properties are not associated with the Winter Colony theme but are similar in size and scale to many of the more modest properties and contribute to the visual qualities of the district. Many of the streets in the district are divided by grassy medians planted with trees and shrubs. Primary architectural stylistic influences include the Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, Victorian, Tudor Revival, and Queen Anne. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 27, 1984
Reference number
84000498
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Outdoor recreation; Hotel; Single dwelling; Sport facility
Current functions
Single dwelling; Hotel; Sport facility; Outdoor recreation
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1880; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 104
Non-contributing buildings: 16

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street Views"
  • June 6, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources