Martin Place Historic District

N and S sides of Martin Pl. between Graham Ave. and Water St., 500, 498, and 450 N. Main Sts., Franklin, Indiana

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in February 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Martin Place Historic District is a group of late nineteenth and early twentieth-century homes. It is an excellent collection of such architectural styles as Queen Anne, Italianate, Craftsman, and American Four-Square. The district is composed of the north and south sides of Martin Place and three houses on the west side of N. Main Street. In a city with an abundance of nineteenth-century houses, the district is one of Franklin's best collections of representative examples. Martin Place is an attractive tree-lined street reminiscent of an idyllic 19th Century home town.

A small marker in the center of the triangle park, formed by Main Street, Herriott Street, and Graham Avenue tells the story of the district. A small map shows the outline of the district.

A historical marker about the first fair in Johnson County resides in the middle of the district.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 12, 1987
Reference number
87000951
Architectural styles
American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman; Victorian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1850; 1925
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 27
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • March 15, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • March 15, 2020: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description, and added photos.

Sources