Caples' Park Historic District

Roughly bounded by E. Newhall Ave., S. Hartwell Ave., Windsor Dr. and Oxford Rd., and S. East Ave., Waukesha, Wisconsin

A residential district on Waukesha's south side comprised of several revival style houses

Photos 

208 Oxford Drive (1930) (Caples' Addition 2)

Wesley L. Hess and George A. Kemnitz, Architects.
Adolf E. Winzenreid, Original Owner
An excellent example of the Tudor Revival style. "This house also displays the Norman influence in its angled tower entrance. Built in 1930 by the proprietor of Winzenreid's Market, this house was designed by Hess & Kemnitz, Milwaukee architectural firm."

The view is looking northwest.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Caples' Park Historic District covers 15 acres of what was originally known as Caples' Park subdivision and Caples' Park No. 2. It includes 42 houses. Thirty-five contribute to the integrity of the district. These houses reflect the period revival styles of construction and were built between 1926 and 1938 which was the period of significant growth for the subdivision. The remaining seven houses which are non-contributing to the district are modern intrusions which were built later than the period of most significant buildings in the district.

"The Caples 1 Park Historic District is a unique area. A number of those men directly responsible for the direction of Waukesha's economic growth during the period of post-World War I prosperity chose to live in this subdivision. It was Waukesha's first restricted subdivision. The houses within the district represent not only a concentration of period revival styles but also exhibit a high standard as far as the quality of their designs are concerned. It is for these reasons that the Caples' Park Historic District occupies a singular place in the built environment of Waukesha."

Condensed and Adapted from National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared for the National Park Service. The application, dated July 31, 1987, was prepared by Judith Eulberg on behalf of the City of Waukesha.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 17, 1988
Reference number
88000219
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival; Other architectural type; Spanish Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 35
Non-contributing buildings: 7

Update Log 

  • April 30, 2016: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • April 29, 2016: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • April 28, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources