Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Yard--Dickson Manufacturing Co. Site

Also known as: Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton Army Ammunition Pl
Roughly bounded by Cliff St., Lackawanna Ave., Mattes Ave., River St. & the Lackawanna R., Scranton, Pennsylvania

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen, Oct 2007

Map 

Description 

The Delaware Lackawanna & Western RR was formed in 1853 by the merger of the Lackawanna & Western RR with the Delaware & Cobbs Gap RR. In 1960 it merged with the Erie to became the Erie Lackawanna, and in 1976 it became part of Conrail.

The DL&W RR sold its machine & erecting (assembly) shops in the 1940s to the Army. That part of the historic district, east of Washington Ave., is now the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant. The Dickson Manufacturing Co., on the west side of the rail yards, is now a trolley museum. The rail yards became the Steamtown National Historic Site in 1986.

An amendment to the nomination form documents 37 items of motive power, 14 which contribute to the historic nature of the site. It also documents 84 passenger cars, freight cars, and pieces of maintenance equipment, 37 of which contribute.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1990
Reference number
90001739
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Utilitarian
Areas of significance
Transportation; Industry
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Manufacturing facility; Rail-related
Current functions
Manufacturing facility; Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1875-1899
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 16
Contributing structures: 5
Contributing sites: 4
Non-contributing buildings: 12
Non-contributing structures: 5

Update Log 

  • May 31, 2017: New photos from Jim Allen
  • June 3, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen
  • May 30, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description
  • May 30, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen
  • August 13, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen