Buildings of the State Fairgrounds of Missouri
"Architecturally, the Missouri State Fairgrounds Historic District contains a fine collection of early 20th century fair and exposition-type buildings, most of which have red brick walls. Most of the larger historic properties are somewhat eclectic, with Mission and Romanesque Revival influences, but good individual examples of the Georgian Revival and Art Deco-Art Moderne styles may also be seen. In general, the larger buildings have steel frames but roofs are made of wood. Today, green asphalt shingles are used for most roofing instead of the original tile or slate. Foundations are concrete or stone. Most buildings have been meticulously maintained and several are relatively unaltered.
The oldest extant buildings are the six frame speed barns (#108-113). These buildings, erected for the first fair in 1901, show their age and are no longer used. The next oldest are the three large brick exposition halls built in 1903 (FFA Building/Poultry Building #56, Commercial Building/Agricultural Building #66 and Varied Industries Building/Horticultural Building #70). The Swine Pavilion/Swine & Sheep Pavilion (#88) is the largest historic building, constructed in 1922. The next largest is the Coliseum/Livestock Pavilion (#18), completed in 1906. The smallest historic brick building is an early fire station (#60), built in 1913. The smallest contributing resources are concrete drinking fountains (counted as objects) constructed by Works Progress Administration crews and indicated on the district map by the number sign (II). Several concession buildings, some of which are historic, are interspersed among the exposition halls and some animal barns. The oldest of these (#26, etc.) were constructed by WPA workers in the late 1930s. Most free-standing restrooms are of relatively recent construction or have been substantially remodeled, but one (#118) was built before World War Two."