A long block, grass mall lined with buildings from the School of Agriculture on the UW Campus
"Most of the buildings that resulted from this collaboration were designed in the Italian Renaissance Revival style in order to bring visual uniformity to a campus that was then most notable architecturally for its stylistic diversity. Laird, and especially Cret, acted as the principal designers in this collaboration and the designs they supplied for the Agricultural Chemistry Building (Map No. 1 - 1912, NRHP 06-19-85) and the Wisconsin High School Building (Map No. 7 - 1913-1914) are both representative examples of their other work on the campus. These buildings were given prominent sites facing each other on the southwest and southeast corners that were formed Dy the intersection of the mall (tnen known as the Agricultural or the Lesser Mall) and the perpendicularly placed University Avenue and they were constructed of steel and reinforced concrete and surfaced in reddish brown and in buff colored brick, respectively. These buildings thus served to anchor tne south end of the mall (Map No. 8 - 1908), a planning element that Laird and Cret designed as an integral part of their 1908 master plan and one that is considered to be one of tne district's contributing resources. Laird and Cret positioned the mall at this point in order to take advantage of the already existing Agriculture Hall Building (Map No. 4 - 1903, NRHP 03-14-85), an excellent large-scale Neoclassical Revival style building designed by J.T.W. Jennings (Peabody's predecessor). This building anchors the north end of the mall and commands an elevated position overlooking it. These five contributing buildings were then later joined by two other non-contributing Modern Movement style buildings that completed the design of the mall. These buildings are the Stovall Laboratory of Hygiene (Map No. 5 - 1951) and the Genetics Building (Map No. 6 - 1961). Although several of these buildings have had later additions attached to them and have undergone other modifications, all of them have been well maintained and are in excellent condition today.
"In addition to these eight resources (seven buildings and one site), the district also contains two other resources. These resources consist of a contributing commemorative statue of William Dempster Hoard designed by noted sculptor Gutzon Borglum (the creator of Mount Rushmore), which is located on the upper portion of Henry Mall (Map No. 9 - 1922); and a commemorative boulder that bears a plaque honoring Dean of Agriculture William Arnon Henry that is located on the lower end of the mall (Map No. 10 - 1924)."
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Timothy F. Heggland/Consultant: for Hammel Green and Abrahamson. Inc., May 16, 1991. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
"One of two memorial objects that have been placed on Henry Mall is this outstanding statue of William Dempster Hoard of Fort Aktinson, Wisconsin. Hoard was the influential founder and publisher of Hoard's Dairyman Magazine, a major disseminator of information about progressive dairy farming techniques, and he also served as the Governor of Wisconsin from 1889-1891 and as a member of the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin. In order to create a memorial on the College of Agriculture campus dedicated to Hoard's memory the University chose the celebrated American sculptor Gutzon Borglum (1867-1941), whose best known work is Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota. Borglum's finished work for the University was completed in 1922 and consisted of a simple white marble base that is comprised of two tall rectilinear marole panels that are supported by three slightly taller square plan pedestals. Eacn of the two panels features figures of dairy cows carved in raised relief and Borglum then crowned tne center pedestal with a bronze half-length bust of Hoard."
Quotation from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Timothy F. Heggland/Consultant: for Hammel Green and Abrahamson. Inc., May 16, 1991. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."