Block C Historic District

Roughly bounded by W. Main St., Gaspar St. and Broadway, Waukesha, Wisconsin

A wedge shaped district of buildings from the late 19th - early 20th Centuries

Photos 

The Anderson Building, Looking East

This wedge-shape building, and its additions, anchor this historic district. It was built in four sections, the original in 1914. The design and materials used in the additions make it difficult to delineate the sections.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Block C Historic District is comprised of several late 19th - early 20th Century buildings around a wedge-shaped block in the historically significant downtown Waukesha.

Two of the streets. Main and Broadway, intersect with another major street, Grand Avenue, at the main intersection in downtown Waukesha. It is where Grand Avenue terminates leaving five non-right angle streets. It is popularly known as the Five Points.

For many years, Main Street was one way west. In a renewal project, Main Street became two way and the Fiive Points was closed off with a replica of an octagonol gazebo that was once part of Silurian Springs. It almost killed downtown before the gazebo was relocated to the river walk.

Main Street was under construction in the spring of 2016 when these photographs were taken.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 11, 1996
Reference number
95001504
Architectural style
Victorian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Specialty store; Department store
Current function
Specialty store
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources