Delphi Lime Kilns

In ruins
Also known as: Canal Park Annex
NNW of Delphi, Delphi, Indiana

Photos 

Remains of kiln #6

Photo taken by Jim Allen in Dec. 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This site contained 6 lime kilns along the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Hubbard and Company operated the kilns from the 1850s to 1870. They were the ‘pot kilns’ type that are fired with wood and process one batch at a time. Today only wall segments of 2 kilns are visible. A replicate now stands south of the site.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 27, 2002
Reference number
02000693
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Outdoor recreation
Period of significance
1850-1874
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • January 13, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description
  • January 9, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: Added alternate name, refined cooridinates, & updated status

Sources