Southern Railroad Depot

Also known as: Leeds Depot
933 Thornton Ave., NE, Leeds, Alabama

Map 

Description 

Southern Railway Depot was built in the 1880's following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific Railroad line between Birmingham and Atlanta. Later, when the depot was no longer used; the City of Leeds turned the baggage room into a public meeting room and added museum rooms in the Depot, which feature railroad history, records and artifacts. The Depot was posted on the National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1983.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1983
Reference number
83002975
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1884

Update Log 

  • May 24, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added Description

Sources