Moravian Mission Site & Cemetery
Also known as: God's AcreGA 52 ALT, Spring Place, GA
Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in July 2010
+34.76105, -84.8160934°45'40" N, 84°48'58" W
The Moravian Mission site contains the burial site of people believed to be Moravian Missionaries. Chief James Vann sponsored these missionaries trip to the area in 1801. Their mission was, among other things, to educate the Cherokees. That education included reading, grammar, writing, sacred history, mathematics, geography, weaving and botany. Several Cherokees and slaves are also thought to be buried at this site.
1801: Moravian missionaries arrived in Spring Place to set up a mission and school under the sponsorship of James Vann.
1805: Tradition claims that the Spring Place Moravian missionaries decorated the first Christmas tree ever used in Georgia.
1818: Moravians completed building of a new church and school building, a "blockhouse" design.
1834: Spring Place became the county seat for Murray County. The Moravian mission building served as the first court house.
1837: Moravians conducted their last service in Murray County on Easter Sunday.
1838: Murray County's remaining 2,000 Cherokees were forced to depart on the difficult journey to Oklahoma Territory that would become known as "the Trail of Tears."
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 2005
- Reference number
- NR name
- Spring Place Historic District
- Architectural styles
- Federal; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; et al.
- Areas of significance
- Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Architecture; Education; Ethnic Heritage - European; Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Exploration/Settlement; Religion
- Levels of significance
- Local; State
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; B - Person; C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Single dwelling; Specialty store; Correctional facility; School; Agricultural fields; Natural feature
- Current functions
- Single dwelling; Religious structure; Agricultural fields; Natural feature
- Periods of significance
- 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Significant years
- 1801; 1803; 1805
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 24
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 8
Non-contributing buildings: 27
- July 5, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt