The Chief

Formally north of Danville along N. Vermilion Street (Dixie Highway)

Photo 

Photo taken by Kevin Young

Map 

Description 

Built in 1949 as advertisement for Herbert Drews' heating business at the intersection of Route 1 and Route 136 in Vermilion County, later moved to the Curtis Apple Orchard in Champaign.

Text on a plaque beneath the statue:

"The Chief

This 17' tall copper statue was built in 1949 by Herbert W. Drews (1887-1961) of Danville to honor Kesis, a famous Indian chief of east central Illinois. It stood on Rt. 1 in Danville for 46 years, maintained first by the sculptor and then by his son, Herbert O. Drews (1915-1994). The sculptor's grandson, Randall Graham, moved the statue here in 1995."

Update Log 

  • July 11, 2010: Added by Jacob P. Bernard

Sources 

  • Jacob P. Bernard