Tybee Island Light Station

Also known as: Tybee Island Lighthouse
30 Meddin Drive, Tybee Island, GA

Photos 

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Ordered by General James Oglethorpe, Governor of the 13th colony, in 1732, the Tybee Island Light Station has been guiding mariners safe entrance into the Savannah River for over 270 years. The Tybee Island Light Station is one of America's most intact having all of its historic support buildings on its five-acre site. Rebuilt several times the current lightstation displays its 1916 day mark with 178 stairs and a First Order Fresnel lens (nine feet tall).

Update Log 

  • June 3, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • July 16, 2014: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 29, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 23, 2010: Added by Eddie Douthitt

Sources 

  • Eddie Douthitt - eddied1962 [at] charter [dot] net
  • Wikipedia
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com