Harrison Brothers Hardware
124 South Side Square, Huntsville, Alabama
Original hardware store preserved as it operated in the 20th Century
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+34.72988, -86.5843534°43'48" N, 86°35'04" W
James and Daniel Harrison opened a tobacco store in 1879 on Jefferson Street. (The business was moved to the current location in 1897.) Robert Harrison was the youngest brother, and he opened the current store with Daniel. In the 1950s, Robert's sons, Daniel F. and John, took over the operation selling hardware, furniture and miscellaneous items. The Harrisons ignored all modern marketing procedures and preserved the business as it had operated in the early 20th Century. John died in 1983 and the business was in danger of being liquidated. The Historic Huntsville Foundation purchased the property to operate it as a museum. The store, as it appears now, opened in 1984 with an all volunteer staff.
- November 29, 2010: Added by J.R. Manning