Dillard Mill Historic site

1.5 miles off MO 49 on Dillard Mill road, about 5 miles south of Cherryville

Mill, mill pond, and weir at Dillard Mill


Dillard mill and pond

A view facing south of the mill and the pond downstream from it.

Photo taken by fmiser




Built along the Huzzah Creek, this mill opened in 1908. It replaced one at the same site that was built in 1856 and burned in 1895.

The dam provides an 8 foot head for the 23-inch Samson vertical shaft turbine built by Leffel Turbine Mfg. of Springfield, OH At full power, the turbine develops 24 horse power at 200 RPM and uses almost 2000 gallons of water per minute.

Commercial operations of the mill ended in 1956.

Most of the original mill machinery is still in the building, and the power shafts, belts, and elevators are intact - but as of 2009 or so, the turbine was not functioning. There are plans to repair the turbine and again have a fully functional mill. The machinery includes

The machinery includes a Eureka Dustless Separator, a Eureka Horizontal Separator & Scourer, a Barnard Roller Mill, a Whitmore Air & Sieve Purifier, a wire reel sifter made by Barnard & Lea for sifting corn meal, and a Howe Floor Scale that use an adjustable counter balance system that automatically shuts off the flow from the bin when the flour bag is full.

Tours are given year round.

Dillard Mill page on the MO Parks website.

Update Log 

  • June 11, 2017: New photos from Sharon Spear
  • February 3, 2011: Added by fmiser


  • fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Sharon Spear - sweetsexysharon [at] gmail [dot] com


Dillard Mill Historic site
Posted June 11, 2017, by Sharon Spear (sweetsexysharon [at] gmail [dot] com)