Black Hawk's Village
Black Hawk Park, Palmer Drive, Janesville, Wisconsin
Historical Marker in the Black Hawk War series of markers
Overview Looking Northwest
Note the golf course that is part of this park.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+42.67436, -88.9949242°40'28" N, 88°59'42" W
Quadrangle map:Janesville East
In April 1832, about 1,000 Sac, Fox and Kickapoo men, women and children followed Black Hawk to their traditional home where the Rock River meets the Mississippi. Indian raiding parties attacked homesteads and settlements in Illinois and Michigan territories. The US Army, under General Henry Atkinson, began a lively pursuit in what has become known as the Black Hawk War. It ended badly for the Native Americans at the Battle of Bad Axe.
This double-sided marker commemorates the war, and how Janesville residents found the remains of a Black Hawk camp on this site.
- August 29, 2011: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com