Westville, Mississippi

Abandoned
An abondoned town in Simpson County

Photos 

Westville, Mississippi Marker

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Description 

Westville, Mississippi was the original county seat of Simpson County. The 1850 census recorded 5 sawmills, 4 grist mills, 3 cotton gins, 2 tanneries, finishing shops, shoemaking, blacksmithing, and 2 saddlery shops. The coming of the railroad in 1900 brought drastic changes in population areas. Westville was to be abandoned but not forgotten. Shortly after Simpson County was organized, a county seat was located and named in honor of Colonel Cato West the site was to be called Westville. The first courthouse was a small log building, then, in 1827, a frame courthouse was erected. In 1844, the courthouse burned and was replaced by a much larger building which was also destroyed by fire in 1872. With all public records being destroyed in this tragic fire, the next courthouse was built of brick and was used until 1906 when the county seat was moved to Mendenhall. Schools were taught in and around Westville. The first school building was not erected until 1850 "Westville Academy" Henry L Whitfield, later to become governor of Mississippi, served as principal of the school at one time.

Update Log 

  • December 4, 2011: Added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources 

  • Jeff Lovorn - jlovo [at] aol [dot] com