Riddlesburg Coke Ovens
6 Mile Run Rd
48 brick, beehive coke ovens were built in 1912 to aid in iron-making at the Keystone Foundry and Greenwood Furnace.
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in Nov. 29, 2012
+40.16121, -78.2484340°09'40" N, 78°14'54" W
This operation opened in 1912. Coke is made by heating coal and was used as a fuel in making steel. This operation supported iron-making at the Keystone Foundry and Greenwood Furnace.
It was closed twice. Once in the 1929 depression and in 1943 over labor disputes. It was last opened in 1939 by US Pipe and Foundry Company.
Currently, restoration is underway on the largest-surviving section of Riddlesburg coke ovens.
It is currently owned by the Broad Top Township Supervisors.
- October 17, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
- June 13, 2013: Added by Jodi Christman