CB&Q 4-6-4 Hudson Steam Locomotive 3003
300 S Main St., Burlington, Iowa
Fourth of twelve Hudsons built for the CB&Q in 1930
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2013
+40.80700, -91.1019440°48'25" N, 91°06'07" W
This passenger locomotive was the fourth in a series of twelve 4-6-4 locomotives ordered by the Chicago Burlington & Quincy from the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The first of this S-4 class locomotives built by Baldwin were delivered to the New York Central and ran on lines parallel to the Hudson River, prompting the "Hudson" designation. (The CB&Q Hudsons were numbered 3000 through 3011. 3002 was modified, renumbered 4000, and is on display in La Crosse, Wisconsin.)
Several advances in railroad technology made the Hudson the state of the art in 1930, and this class of locomotive was capable of pulling a train at 90 MPH and could reach peak speeds of 120 MPH. The tender carried 24 tons of coal and 15,000 gallons of water. The locomotive could travel 500 miles on its coal supply but would require two stops to replenish the water supply.
This locomotive served the CB&Q for about 20 years before being replaced by diesels. It was donated to the railroad's namesake city of Burlington in 1961 and refurbished in 1991.
- March 12, 2022: New photo from John Christeson
- April 10, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
- November 10, 2013: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger - wallyum [at] hotmail [dot] com
- John Christeson - panamakid_69 [at] yahoo [dot] com