Androscoggin Yacht Club
22 Lake St., Wayne, Maine
+44.34672, -70.0699044°20'48" N, 70°04'12" W
Criterion A: Entertainment and Recreation, Criterion C: Architecture. Local significance.
The Androscoggin Yacht Club on Androscoggin Lake in Wayne, is among the oldest surviving yacht club organizations in Maine, and perhaps the oldest such facility located on an inland waterway, still being used for its original function. First incorporated in 1909, the organization purchased land and opened its clubhouse and docks in 1912. The wood frame clubhouse with wraparound porch and generous meeting hall was designed by architect Carl Fuller Davis of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The Androscoggin Yacht Club is locally significant as a remarkably intact example of a type of social building that was built as clubhouses for fishing lodges, golf clubs, yacht clubs and social organizations, mostly in tourist-oriented towns or private communities, in the early decades of the 20th century. It is also a local building that reflects the development of forms of entertainment and recreation in Wayne, a small town with a substantial summer population.
- August 9, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
- December 22, 2013: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
- December 22, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
- December 17, 2013: Added by Brian Bartlett