Biddeford Main Street Historic District

29 to 316 Main St., and portions of Elm, Jefferson, Adams, Washington, Franklin, Alfred and Water Sts., Biddeford, Maine

Photos 

Main Street Historic District, Biddeford, Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Criterion A: Commerce, Industry, Social History, Entertainment and Recreation, Criterion C: Architecture The Biddeford Main Street Historic District encompasses the half-mile long portion of Main Street that lies between Elm and Water streets in downtown Biddeford and which served as the primary commercial business district for the region from the mid-nineteenth century into the mid-twentieth century. The buildings retain many of their original design features, and comprise a visually cohesive grouping of commercial buildings constructed between 1846 and 1952. The development of this district in the city reflects local industrial history and commercial development trends, and also represents an important era in which social clubs and fraternal organizations thrived in Biddeford. The predominantly brick-clad, two- to four-story buildings tend to be vernacular, but design details and the few high-style buildings within the district were visibly influenced by the typical styles of the mid-nineteenth to early-twentieth centuries. Stylistic influences within the district include Greek Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Revival, Classical Revival, and Egyptian Revival styles. The Biddeford Main Street Historic District contains approximately 14.5 acres and is located along Main Street and portions of side streets that extend south off of Main Street. There are fifty-two new contributing resources and eleven non-contributing resources within the district, as well as three properties that were previously listed in the National Register and also contribute to the current district. The district was listed in the National Register in recognition of its commercial, industrial, historical and architectural significance.

Update Log 

  • August 20, 2014: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
  • July 12, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
  • December 20, 2013: Added by Brian Bartlett

Sources