As Maine communities began to lose their frontier aspects in the 19th century and assume a more settled countenance, rudimentary civic improvements were initiated. Among these improvements in the largely agricultural world of rural Maine were those concerned with the regulation of the livestock. To control the problem of loose cattle, hogs, or sheep towns constructed open air shelters, known as pounds or cattle pounds, to temporarily corral wayward animals. At least 33 of these structures are extant in Maine, and the condition of each varies from almost unrecognizable to good. Erected in 1816 in northern Androscoggin County, the Turner Cattle Pound is an un-roofed stone enclosure located at the southwest corner of the intersection of General Turner Hill Road and Kennebec Trail. Shaped like a parallelogram, and measuring approximately thirty-seven feet to a side, the structure is between four and five-and a-half- feet tall, and roughly three feet in width. It was listed under Criterion A at the local level of significance as a good example of a 19th stone structure that was built by the town to regulate one specific aspect of its agricultural economy.