The Elms is one of a number of elegant and stylish Second Emprire style houses that were built in Houlton in the 1870s, but it may be the only one that is an elegant and stylish example of Craftsman style as well. The single family wood frame house is located on a broad, treelined street that leads toward the Aroostook County governmental buildings two blocks to the east. Built circa 1872, the tall, rectangular building features a bell-curve mansard roof punctuated with decorative arch-top dormers, paneled cornered pilasters, decorative hoods over tall windows, and highly ornamented cornices. A pair of large bay windows are located behind the full width porch on the front facade. On the interior a few of the Italianate-era details are extant, including tin ceilings, thick paneled doors, moulded door and window trim and decorative panels under the bay windows. However, most of the interior was substantially renovated circa 1906-1912 in the Craftsman Style, and features of note include leather-embosed wall coverings, high paneled wainscot, art glass windows, original mica or Tiffany lighting fixtures, a period kitchen and pantry and an early bathroom with walls of highly figured mahogany. As such, this property embodies the distinctive characteristics of two architectural styles: the Second Empire style on the exterior and Craftsman on the interior. The Elms was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its architectural significance.