New Vienna Stone Elevated Water Tank
7400 Columbus Street, New Vienna, Iowa
Stone water tower that served the community until 1983
Overview Looking North
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014
+42.55165, -91.1139642°33'06" N, 91°06'50" W
Quadrangle map:New Vienna
This stone tower, built in 1898, features a 30,000 gallon tank and a 200 feet deep well. Water was initially pumped into the reservoir, powered by a windmill, which was later removed and replaced by an electrically powered turbine. In 1983, New Vienna built a new steel tower with federal grant money. Except for the well, still in service, the stone tower was abandoned.
It is on the NRHP as a component of the St. Boniface of New Vienna Historic District.
- April 19, 2014: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com