Price Memorial Building Historic Marker

W Main St. & College Cir., Dahlonega, Georgia

Photo 

Photo taken by pam phillips in August 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Erected here in 1837 was a U.S. Branch Mint which operated until seized by the Confederates in 1861. It produced gold coins estimated to exceed $6,000,000.00 in value. In 1871 the mint building and ten acres of land were transferred to the state for use as an agricultural college, largely through the efforts in Congress of Representative William Pierce Price, founder of North Georgia College and President of its Board of Trustees until his death in 1908. The mint building was destroyed by fire in 1878 and in the following year a second building was constructed on the old foundation walls. The new structure came to serve as the college administration building and in 1934 by action of the state Board of Regents was named the Price Memorial Building to honor the founder. Leafing of the steeple with gold from the surrounding hills was sponsored by the Dahlonega Club to commemorate in 1973 the 100th anniversary of the college. 093-9 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1973

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Address" & "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View"
  • August 30, 2015: Added by pam phillips

Related landmarks 

Sources 

  • pam phillips
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com