Coordinates: +34.53697, -83.97297 34°32'13" N, 83°58'23" W
CONSOLIDATED GOLD MINES —1 mile—>
One mile southeast of here, from 1900 to 1906, the Dahlonega Consolidated Mining Company operated what is considered the largest gold plant ever constructed east of the Mississippi River.
Capitalized at $5,000,000, the plant included a 120-stamp mill, a large chlorinator, a 550 foot tunnel and numerous small buildings.
The Consolidated Mining Company furnished much of the setting for one of the earliest moving picture westerns, “The Plunderer”, starring William Farnum. The film made in Dahlonega and its environs before the First World War.
093-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
November 17, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Street View"
September 6, 2015: Added by pam phillips
Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com