Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015
+34.47454, -84.0232434°28'28" N, 84°01'24" W
Auraria, (Gold), in 1832 the scene of Georgia’s first gold rush, was named by John C. Calhoun, owner of a nearby mine worked by Calhoun slaves. Auraria and Dahlonega were the two real gold towns in the U.S. before 1849. Between 1829 and 1839 about $20,000,000 in gold was mined in Georgia’s Cherokee country.
From Auraria in 1858 the “Russel boys”, led by Green Russell, went west and established another Auraria near the mouth of Cherry Creek that later became Denver Colo. Green Russell uncovered a fabulous lode called Russell Gulch near which was built Central City, Colo., “richest square mile on earth.”
093-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
- November 17, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Street View"
- September 10, 2015: Added by pam phillips
- pam phillips
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com