Also known as: Alvarado Store2720 San Diego Avenue, San Diego, CA
Adobe house built prior to 1830
Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006
This single-story adobe was built sometime before 1830 for Francisco Maria Alvarado and his wife Tomasa Pico, sister of California’s last Mexican governor. It had a thatched roof, earthen floors, and wood-barred windows.In 1854, the San Diego grand jury charged Francisco Maria with keeping a disorderly house for selling liquor.
During the American period, the Alvarados increasingly spent time at Rancho Los Penasquitos, preferring to divide and rent out their valuable plaza properties to American businessmen. After 1874, the adobe slowly deteriorated. The reconstructed building is a concession for Old Town State Park.
- June 15, 2018: Added by Richard Doody