Replica of 1853 house burned in 1874 reconstructed in 1989
Robinson Rose House
Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006
In 1853, he built this two-story building as a residence and law office. After his death in 1857, it became the town’s commercial seat, providing office space for the San Diego Herald, the San Diego and Gila Railroad, Wells Fargo, and various other businesses. Fire destroyed part of the roof in 1874. By the early 20th century, the building had fallen into ruins.
California State Parks reconstructed it in 1989. It serves as the Old Town State Park’s visitor information center,