B'nai Israel Cemetery

2415 S Montana Street, Butte, MT

Cemetery established in 1881

Photos 

B'nai Israel Cemetery

Photo taken by Richard Doody

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Hebrew Benevolent Association acquired the land for B'nai Israel Cemetery in 1881 from the Northern Pacific Railroad. Congregation B’nai Israel acquired the property in 1905, two years after finishing its landmark synagogue in uptown Butte. The site has about 500 to 1,000 graves and serves about 30 families. At one time there were three synagogues (one Reform and two Orthodox) in Butte. Butte’s well-known Jewish residents of the past included Henry Jacobs, who was the Mining City’s first mayor, and Henry L. Frank, its second.

Tags 

19th Century (38,026)
Built 1881 (392)
Built during 1880s (6,531)
Cemetery (1,146)
Have Street View (48,285)
Montana (2,299)
Silver Bow County, Montana (362)

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2021: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
  • July 7, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources