City Hall

24 E Broadway, Butte, MT

Richardsonian Romanesque city hall built in 1890

Photos 

City Hall

Photo taken by Richard Doody in March 1997

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is Butte’s second city hall, replacing the 1884 structure at 116 W Park. Mayor Henry Mueller oversaw the construction of this building. The four face clock in the five story tall clocktower was made by the E. Howard Company of Boston.

The main level of the building house the fire department until the Quartz Street station opened in 1900. The large arches adjacent to the front entrance on Broadway Street were doors through which horse-drawn fire wagons passed.

The basement jail was known as the “Butte Bastille” for its dungeon-like character. Police offices occupied the sub-sidewalk space on the north side of the building. The jail was in use until 1971, when a suspicious death by hanging at the shower stall compelled a decision to begin using the county jail which was just 20 years younger but much more modern. The upper floors of the city hall were abandoned in 1977 when the governments of the city and county were merged and all operations moved to the county courthouse.

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2021: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
  • July 7, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources