Charlie's New Deal Bar

333 S Arizona Street, Butte, MT

Two story brick building built circa 1890

Photos 

Charlie's New Deal Bar

Photo taken by Richard Doody in March 1997

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Charlie Judd founded his New Deal Bar in 1933. The building, built before the turn of the century, had been a general store until when Judd bought it and turned it into a tavern. Roosevelt's "New Deal" ended prohibition and brought economic recovery to Butte. Charlie approved, hence the name. A mural of FDR by local sign painter and muralist Jack Ferriter graced the south wall of the building in the 1990s. The New Deal closed in October, 2000. The building was sold to the Butte Housing Authority and renovated as a community center.

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2021: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
  • July 8, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources