Fountain of the Tortoises

Huntington Park, San Francisco, CA

Photos 

Fountain of the Tortoises

Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2010

Enlarge

Description 

The original Fontana delle Tartarughe (Fountain of the Tortoises) was built in Rome between 1580 and 1588 by the architect Giacomo della Porta and the sculptor Taddeo Landini. The bronze turtles around the upper basin, usually attributed either to Gian Lorenzo Bernini or Andrea Sacchi, were added in either 1658 or 1659 when the fountain was restored.

In the early 1900s , a company in Rome offered exact replicas of the original fountain, and William H. and Ethel Crocker purchased one of the reproductions and had it installed at their estate in Hillsborough, California. The four Crocker Children donated the fountain to the City of San Francisco in 1954. It was placed in Huntington Park across the street from the site of the original Crocker Mansion, now occupied by Grace Cathedral.

Update Log 

  • April 8, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • April 8, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody