Butte Carriage Works

38 E Silver Street, Butte, MT

Photos 

Butte Carriage Works

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Butte Carriage Works began as a carriage, wagonmaker and blacksmith shop in the 1890s. It was originally located at 121-123 South Main Street. In 1899, the business moved to East Galena Street. The business moved into a new building in 1905. By this time it had become “the largest and most extensive carriage manufactory in Montana.” The first floor of the building housed the horseshoeing department with the capacity to service 25 to 30 animals per day.

Butte Carriage Works dropped the carriage trade and began fabricating automobile bodies at the start of the 1910s. The company moved into a new building on Silver Street in 1917 and continued in business until the early 1940s.

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2021: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
  • June 30, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • June 30, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources